Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Day 6: Preparation Is Key

It doesn't matter what path you take to get where you want to go. Everyone's journey is going to be different. I know both of those facts are true. The thing is no matter what you want to do planning truly is key.

As a writer my plan is like a tree. It has a thick trunk with lots of goals inside. Little by little I get things done and the tree grows. Unlike what most people think the first step isn't writing the story. 

The first step is coming up with the idea for a story. For me that includes determining where the story fits. Is it part of a series, or a stand alone? If it's part of a series where does it go? That's why the base of my tree is so thick. As I answer the questions that's when it starts to thin. Then comes the actual writing. Branches now start to sprout. While doing writing I have to think about whether or not I'm going to put it out myself or submit it to a publisher. If I do it myself I have to start thinking about cover art, promotion, editing and all the other stuff that goes with it.

Sometimes you'll hear writers talking about being a pantser or a plotter. I'm a mix of both. I like to know the beginning, middle, and end of my stories. I don't like knowing too much more than that. I like having the freedom to let the story grow naturally. Now I do like to have a list of points for each chapter that I want to make sure I get in.

No comments: